Thursday, October 05, 2006

 

Kolkata first day

We have already been in India since September 22nd and I simply haven't had a chance to write. But here we go. We landed in a blast of heat in a run down airport in Kolkata, and at that moment, for me, nothing had changed in India after 23 years. It was comforting in a way, as it would be hard to come back and find radical changes. But no, there was still heat, noise, dirt, potholes, cows, and people doing back breaking labour. Cha-wallahs, cows, fornicating dogs, and brilliantly coloured saris amidst it all. We drove immediately to Howrah, where my cousin lives. We were extremely tired as we had been on an overnight flight from Dubai, which means we didn't sleep at all. He had obtained a flat for us near his house, so we could be close together to socialize, but it was a bit of a shocker for the kids, Ryan especially. We were on the floor in a tiny 400 sq ft flat, with very primitive toilet facilities, complete with lizards on the walls, and cockroaches in the dark corners. I have seen it before and it doesn't bother me, but with our lack of sleep, the heat, the dust and sleeping on thin cotton mattresses on the cement floor, well, it was hard to sleep. After a few hours sleep we were awoken so we could sleep at night again. Our family was most thrilled and welcoming.

I was overcome with emotion at seeing my aunt especially. She is 78 and the person perhaps closest to my father, who passed away in 1995, excepting perhaps my mother, who was certainly the closest to him. I cried, and she cried. And she was so sweet to all of us. I love her. At four foot ten, she is tiny and cute, and I want to pick her up and hold her and take her back home with me.

More soon...

Comments:
Hi Anita & Fellows! Taylor, Atish from India, Martin from Germany & myself wish you a Happy Thanksgiving from Vancouver Island. Atish's parents were just here, so I have heard many interesting stories. We can hardly wait for more of yours!
Have fun, love Karen
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?