Sunday, August 13, 2006

 

India has changed they tell me


There's me on the Ganges in Kanpur dreaming of eternity during Durga's return to the water

Everyone tells me India has changed. Someone who goes every year tells me that there isn't as much poverty on the streets as before. It's there, but not as much as before. Last time I went all kinds of consumer goods were in high demand, and it was hoped that we would come with many such luxuries... tampons, electronics, perfumes, makeup, etc. Now it's all available there. Everyone has a cell phone there apparently. Even rickshaw drivers. And why not? Still, I hear from others that in many ways nothing has changed. I am excited and anxious to go and find out how my India has changed. I spent the first seven years of my life there and I have memories, illusions perhaps, and a lot of sentimental attachment to this idea of India.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?